Total Pageviews

Sunday 30 October 2016

A bit more work

While I wait for the first batch of parts to come in, I did a bit more work on the bandit.  I really like the look of bare metal tanks.  Aluminum would be nice, but they cost a fortune.  I've had some luck with coating steel tanks with Gibbs after they've been stripped.  I have also learned to let the stripper do the hard work!
With the three street projects I am working on, all 3 now have bare tanks.  All 3 also had small dents, which would be a PITA to repair, and would include a pile (in some cases) or a bit of bondo.  Leave the tank bare, and the dents now add "character" to the bikes...

You can see what side the bike came down on.  I've bought a new alternator cover for that side, and the cylinder fins have actually been repaired.

A better job would have required an engine and cylinder removal -- not willing to go that far.  The fins had a section that was abraded, so I cleaned it up with a file, and then did a quick spot-spray with engine paint.  Doesn't look perfect, but it really can't as then I would have a "spot" on the engine that was black... tried to mimic the weathered patina of the engine itself.

I've come to realize I'm at the point, with the subframe at least, that the next major step/purchase is bodywork.  Airtech sells some stuff, and based on my calculations I'm looking at $438.27 USD, with shipping to be added, and the need to purchase a windscreen from Gustaffson.  Gustaffson is the only North American supplier of some of these screens, and charge accordingly -- like $150 or so, plus shipping.
Another option is Motoforza Fairings out of the Czech Republic.  They have a decent reputation, and certainly look good.
This is a Ducati F1 seat.  I was thinking about a Moriwaki Seat, but they don't sell one, and this is somewhat similar to what Pepo used.  It can always be trimmed, of course.

This is the F1 upper.  It is designed for a narrower V-Twin, so perhaps part of the lower will need to be trimmed somewhat, to clear the wide cylinders of the Suzuki.

Here is the screen they sell.  You can also order it drilled with bolts, which seems like a very sensible option.  I like this design in that the fairing ears are a bit more sturdy as well.

Shipping to my door is quoted at 359 Euros.  A good price, and it saves me the cost of driving down to the states to pick up Airtech's stuff, and importing it there as well.  About $530 Cdn.  Seems like a better option, especially since the screen is included in that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment