Total Pageviews

Monday 28 August 2017

Ninja 650, take 2


Began the build of the ex650.  My plan is to make it a KISS bike -- as in Keep It Simple, Stupid!  No fairings from other models, no hacking up the subframe, and use as many of the spares I can in the build to keep costs down.
I sold the fancy Falicon crank and Carrozzeria wheels, and netted the purchase price of the entire bike.  I also wanted to get a titled frame in case I do ever want to put it on the street.  I found one in Montreal for $150, but of course I needed an engine as well.  I came across a 2014 that looked to be in excellent shape (save the scratched alternator cover).  Bought that for $400, with another $200 in shipping costs (to North Dakota, not across the border).
When those arrived, I started to assemble the bike and inspect some things...
To confirm, a later model ex engine fits into an older frame.  I got back my Muzzy/scorpion exhaust system, and figured out another mounting system that did not result in the frame getting hacked up.
The engine sidecovers went back on, as did the JRI shock and the zx6r forks.

I decided I liked the upright "superbiker" riding position of the Duke, so I replicated that on the ex with z1000 triple clamps, Renthal risers, and Pro Taper fatbars.  I added a carbon dirt track numberplate I hd lying around.

I wired in the Koso dash (which I have to set up for the ex engine spec), oil temp light (neutral light to be installed later), and water temp gauge.  Inline water temp sender is on its way (along with a stock radiator).  Ignition tumbler and mount have been removed (saving a couple of pounds), and replaced with a woodcraft ignition delete.  Awesome idea for $50.  The RHS switch (from a zx6r) is now the on/off and iginition switch.  I rigged up my own version of this years ago, but this is plug and play and doesn't require cutting up the loom.

Again, the rear subframe (as heavy as it is) remains unharmed.  As I plan to fit a catalyst rear seat fairing, I needed a simple mount for the power commander and quickshift module.  Some aluminum sheet did the trick, again using the stock holes and brackets already on the frame.

There are a bunch more parts inbound, so I'll keep things updated as I can.  Still haven't heard the engine run, but having removed the clutch and alternator cover for inspection, the engine looks very clean inside, and turns over OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment