Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 August 2017

So I bought back my old ex650 racebike and all the spares.  Not sure why, exactly, although the price was too good to pass up.  My contacts in the UK were still solid from when I built the bike back in 2011-2013, so luckily when I brought the stuff home, I was able to sell some things.  The caveat:  the engine in the bike was toast.  I knew it wasn't running when I bought it (it had quit at the racetrack), so when I took it apart, the problem was revealed -- a broken valve had embedded itself on the top of the piston!  As well the rod was bent on that side, the head was destroyed, the cylinder wall scored deeply, and I suspect the crank may have been affected as well.  So, junk, basically.
The plan was to do something unique and maybe put a dual shock rear end on it -- however that looks to be more hassle than it will be worth, especially considering I have no bites on the trick JRI rear shock.  I don't want to give things away, so plan be is to keep some of the nice stuff and come up with a KISS bike -- as in Keep It Simple Stupid!
Having sold the fancy wheels, some rearset parts, and the Falicon crank already, I've recouped 90% of my outlay to buy the bike ("included" is what came with what I purchased):


  • Stock 2007 frame with title bought from Quebec.  I'm hiding the hacksaw so I leave it alone.  Yes the rear subframe is heavy, but I want to leave it unmolested.  Unfortunately its the horrible burgundy color!  At least it can be registered on the street when finished.
  • Replacement engine -- they are plentiful on ebay -- depending on the year, a new loom and ECU might also be required, but that still needs to be confirmed.
  • Versys swingarm -- what I have is rough, and might be cosmetically revived with a powdercoat.
  • Stock wheels -- included.
  • Galfer front rotors -- included
  • Woodcraft rearsets -- included
  • 636 forks with G20 cartridges -- included
  • Exhaust system -- my Muzzy/Moto2 creation from way back -- included
  • Tail section -- Catalyst Composites -- works with the stock subframe (need to purchase)
  • Controls -- zx14 calipers and radial master -- included
  • Triple clamps -- leaning towards a z1000 triple with renthal bars -- the upright position seems to suit me better, based on the KTM Duke experience!
  • Tach and water temp  -- already have a KOSO tach and the temp guage was included.
  • Fuel tank -- got 2 with the purchase


Other:
Translogic quickshifter is included, but I am trying to sell it (but I'm not going to give it away)
RLR cylinder head -- I am sure it could be used with any ex650 engine up to 2016, but I'm not 100% sure.  Hoping that a Supertwins racer across the pond wants it, but again I'm not going to give it away.  Its a 0 mile unit, and if I end up with an earlier engine I might just keep it as, for some reason, the ex650 likes to drop valves.

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment